DotaCraft

Comments

• edited June 2015 Posts: 1,670

Back in business!

Some relevant changes from the Beta Release Notes:

Abilities and modifiers can now be defined in Lua. Modifiers are now exposed to Lua.

This will make the code of some abilities so much better and remove of some of my hacky KV workarounds.

Added ability to intercept and modify pending game actions with script filters.

Unit Formations!

Added GridNav:DestroyTreesAroundPoint() and GridNav:GetAllTreesAroundPoint()

Lumber gathering was missing tree-chopping because it was awful to do it with KV. Now it'll be a piece of cake.

Custom Healthbar Colors, Custom Game Setup

Multi Teams fully supported WOAH

Removed a number of hitches and added general performance improvments

I believe this is Valve's way of saying they fixed lags over 20k milliseconds when you got more than 100 units moving.

Added a PathfindingSearchDepthScale key to units.txt that may be set to a value between 0 and 1 to make pathfinding less accurate but much faster for that unit, to allow for larger unit counts.

Related to the last point, the performance of multiunit control should be greatly improved with this.

Dota buildings now have a 'particle_tint_color'

It's like they added this for me :happytears:

The concept of Modding Community doesn't go well together with Competitive Business
    My Project Page || My GitHub Profile ||

• SQLSQL

Yay! :happy:

Don't ask me anything. I'm a scrub.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,670

Unit Formations by Rank (Melee/ShortRange/Range/Siege) are done, and are implemented on the Footmen Frenzy gamemode.

There could be some improvements to the positioning logic (currently it's just sorting by distance and then sorting by ranks while it could use other additional checks like movement speed or minimizing the formation total distance traveled), but I'm very pleased with the current result. It works much better with less units of course, but handling an army of 50~100 units is much more realistic now instead of the bunch-everyone-to-the-same-point default behavior.

The concept of Modding Community doesn't go well together with Competitive Business

• edited July 2015 Posts: 1,670

Building De-selection is now possible:

:happytears:

Really good work, I am learning a lot from your code and cant wait to play! Thanks for all your hard work!! 5* mate!

Trying to improve the gathering gold and lumber behaviors to support multiple units selected, But many of the old datadriven code is now proving obsolete (it was done with single order in mind), so I'll probably end up rewriting some stuff to adjust to the new order filters and panorama selection.

One concern: Would interrupting the default movement orders and then providing custom movement orders (like above) require server -> client interaction? I'm curious to see how responsive the movement is in multiplayer.

Treat everyday as if you are a student, not a master. The student learns, grows and sees beauty. The master becomes bitter, resentful, and stagnates.

Unfortunately yes, because I need to get the current selection and that is only available on the clients through panorama. So it goes like: Detect order of gather lumber (tree targeted) -> Send event to panorama -> Panorama checks which of the selected units have ability (peasants) and sends them back to lua -> Find more trees and Execute Orders.

Now that I think of it, this could be solved by having the client dota_player_update_selected_unit send an event to lua with all the selected units each time it changes, storing this in a table for each player, and then the server wouldn't need to request this information when the order is filtered! :cool:

Edit: Indeed, having a SELECTED_UNITS[playerID] table works like a charm.

I said I wasn't going to do more race-skills until finishing some more mechanics but these 2 were just too tempting:

War Club

Mount Hippogryph:

Just some wisps multi orders

Some completely intended mechanics :smile:

An entangled mine with 5 wisps inside:

http://puu.sh/j0vPj/c86d6a517b.jpg

Another fix towards improving gather features: Human Gather, now has tree destruction and re-acquiring as well.

Much progress made in the last ~10 days, all builder-related mechanics are almost done for all races.

Updated the ReadMe file showing the current progress and ToDo

With the help of @wFX and @Infekma the race abilities will be finished much faster, thank you guys! :highfive:

• Very nice! I'm giddy with excitement to play :) I've been following for months, though haven't posted yet.

Though I gotta ask - are you going to stick with sounds, icons, and names from warcraft 3? If so, wouldn't that illicit a lawsuit from Blizzard?

For icons, all of them will be from dota or custom icons, most are done but some are missing or just placeholders, all of them are in the flash3 images folder here.
    I'm looking for a icon designer to finish and improve them if someone is up for it!

For sounds the game uses most dota sounds for abilities/attacks/voices but I might not be able to resist mixing some We're under attack, I'm not that kind of orc, Your sacred forest is being desecrated and other nostalgia sounds :smile:

I don't think generic unit names are a problem, you can't really copyright orcs or elves... I am aware that Blizzard would be able to DMCA the game if they wanted to (just as Riot can do the same with Defense of the Legends) but I believe no harm will come to this project as long as no models nor main Warcraft character Lore are used.

With over two thirds of all the race abilities done, looking forward next month I will be looking for artists to take care of the following:

• Loading screens and promo art
    • Replacing the remaining WC3 icons with new Dota-styled custom icons
    • New models for certain buildings

If you would like to contribute to any of this and see your work ingame, send me a PM or add me on Steam

Out of curiosity, do you have any AI work done yet? I didn't see any on the repo (but i didn't look that hard)

MAKE CUSTOM GAMES GREAT AGAIN

Finished-
    kv checker - https://arhowk.github.io
    panorama video series - https://moddota.com/forums/discussion/2021/inclusive-panorama-tutorial-quest-box

My pet project This Cursed World/Crestfallen (name pending)
    https://moddota.com/forums/discussion/986/this-cursed-world-rpg#latest

• edited August 2015 Posts: 1,670

Very minimal panorama UI, only the lumber/food UI which is kinda poor (it could use a redesign).

img

I still have to replace the AbilityValues scaleform UI which takes care of showing the Lumber value of abilities and items (and should also add overlay support for Food and Gold cost).

If you are looking for a good UI module to distribute, I believe having something to dynamically display dota-style values in every of the 3 corners with configurable would be pretty useful for many people, I think someone was already doing something like this (TideS, the petri-reborn guy), but had issues with scaleform tooltips getting in the way when hovering over abilities.

Right, cables crossed... only AI done so far is for autocast-logic and tree/pathing decisions, neutrals will get spellcasting AI when their abilities are added obviously.

There aren't any plans to make Bot-controlled enemies yet, but I do have some ideas for a short tutorial/campaign map for each race which will certainly require some heavy AI to make challenging enemies.

On a side note,

If you are looking for a good UI module to distribute, I believe having something to dynamically display dota-style values in every of the 3 corners with configurable would be pretty useful for many people, I think someone was already doing something like this (TideS, the petri-reborn guy), but had issues with scaleform tooltips getting in the way when hovering over abilities.

This isn't smart to do because we'll recieve ability hooks later in Panorama, trying to generate them by hand would be a major waste of time. (Though, if in the future this support is added and you have noone that is able/willing to do the UI for you let me know)

Anyway, I mostly asked because I have another AI project coming up next spring and wanted to try a theoretical self-generating neural network architecture, but considering I already have 3 projects (Clash and PvZ are getting pretty neglected atm in favor of cursed world :/) I figure I probably won't be able to finish it.

You should definitely have computer players though! :D especially since custom games currently have no matchmaking system.

MAKE CUSTOM GAMES GREAT AGAIN

Finished-
    kv checker - https://arhowk.github.io
    panorama video series - https://moddota.com/forums/discussion/2021/inclusive-panorama-tutorial-quest-box

My pet project This Cursed World/Crestfallen (name pending)
    https://moddota.com/forums/discussion/986/this-cursed-world-rpg#latest

New grid, with Alt-Hold behavior, showing the potential of client-side particles

Ignore the red-update over squares occupied by allied units it was just a test, waiting for a client-side grid before we decide to just network everything to the clients.

Niiiiice :kreygasm:

With @wFX finishing the last Orc Abilities, all race abilities are done!

As of this next month we'll be entering a closed Alpha stage, gathering a team of dedicated testers to fill the Bug Tracker and continue polishing the game.

If you are interested in playtesting all sort of abilities, mechanics and interactions, finding bugs or missing content, sign up on the GitHub wiki. You'll appear in the credits and there will be a special place in various maps for every contributor :smiley:

DotoCraft visualized:

Treat everyday as if you are a student, not a master. The student learns, grows and sees beauty. The master becomes bitter, resentful, and stagnates.

Thanks for Patrol command Valve now I can surely finish this :kappa:

• edited December 2015 Posts: 1,670

Much work done this month, including a complete overhaul of the attack aggro system. Here is how it works for passive aggro (builders):

The alpha testing is still going strong, resolving tons of issues, and the game is playable now that we discovered the cause of a persistent hang with @Infekma. Still looking for people to take care of the art department, now that doing models on hammer is possible some building model overhaul could be done.

Special thanks to @TwiGz and @Aardvark for their mapping work, adding (4)Turtle Rock, (2)Melting Valley and (4)Phantom Grove to the list of playable maps! :)

• edited December 2015 Posts: 1,670

Dodging bugs be like

Release :soon: 2016

• DunDun

:hype: :kreygasm:

btw where can I get that sexy bars on meat wagon xD

ONE  THOUSAND  COMMITS :nuke:

• edited January 2016 Posts: 1,670

This shows the recently revamped grid system, with a building that requires Blight, then another that requires to be placed on a Gold Mine, then a standard requires a valid construction area not filled with enemy units or buildings.

amazing)