DotaCraft

edited June 2015 in Projects

This is the thread for my Warcraft 3 RTS to Dota 2 port. Browse through the posts to see the progress history.

The concept of Modding Community doesn't go well together with Competitive Business
My Project Page || My GitHub Profile ||

Comments

• edited February 2015 Posts: 1,670

Repository started, already copied over 25 spells with full parity, most adapted from Warchasers, and some from SpellLibrary and TBR.

Check out the Progress Spreedsheet and stay tuned for updates & interesting findings.

The concept of Modding Community doesn't go well together with Competitive Business

2 weeks today since I started this, 82 out of 96 abilities are finished (minus some that need some polishing to reach full parity).

• Every basic skill is done except for 2 neutral heroes (Firelord and Tinker) which I'm leaving for last
    • Human and Night Elf heroes have all its skills completed
    • Missing 7 ultimates and some sub-abilities of units spawned

I really need some new 'volcano' particles :D

Firestorm

Earthquake

i think it looks cool, only needs this ground distortion earthquakey effect.

sunshine, hurricane

all the highs & lows

Update

Stage 1 Finished! Every hero ability finished including summon's subabilities.

Next step is porting all the unit and finally mechanics.

Warning: 100MB of gfy videos ahead, showing over 100 custom abilities. Let it load and refresh if necessary :residentsleeper:

Humans

Archmage

Blood Mage

Mountain King

Paladin

Night Elf

Demon Hunter

Keeper of the Grove

Priestess of the Moon

Warden

Orc

Blademaster

Far Seer

Shadow Hunter

Tauren Chieftain

Undead

Crypt Lord

Death Knight

Dread Lord

Lich

Neutral

Alchemist

Beastmaster

Dark Ranger

Firelord

Naga Sea Witch

Pandaren Brewmaster

Pit Lord :giff: model please

Tinker

Units started, using the KeyValues Unit Parser makes it really easy.

All Human units

Testing Barracks

Building Mechanics

Rally Point

Autobuild units

Finished a very decent Unit queuing system :bbthump:

Basically it makes the building ability make an item, the building will check every frame for new items that start with a particular prefix, and manipulate the channeling and the inventory to properly display the current status.

It also lets the player cancel any of the queued units by just clicking on the item-unit at the inventory, but only cancelling the current one will cancel the current channel.

Unit Queue System

It also interacts nicely with autocast, first it will finish the queue, and if there isn't unit items left to use, it will autocreate 1 of each of the abilities set on autocast, queuing them.

Autocast with Queued Units

I can make a guide to explain the internal logic of this mechanic if there's enough interest, the code is already pushed to the repository :github:

• Looks really fancy.

If you're going to take me seriously, you have already lost.

Work done on Gather Lumber:

Basic Version: https://gfycat.com/RawDangerousCowbird

Another: https://gfycat.com/AromaticColorlessArmadillo

It's also possible to stop the units to do something else, while keeping track of how much resources has the builder stored

I want to add a right click behavior for trees next, and work on Repair Building and Gold Mining.

• I am icefrog, and i like your mod that you're doing.

Gold gathering is done

Build Repair next.

looks like it's lacking the logic of more than 1 unit can't be in the mine at the same time ?

(but impressive work :D ; hype hype !)

• @TiTi It looked like there was two in there at the same time to me.

Ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod wheredidalltheabilitiesgo ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod whatdidido ohgodohgodohgod howdoicomputer

That's my point :p correct me if I'm wrong but in warcraft3 it wasn't possible :blush: ?

There was a cap of like 5 or 10 peasants in warcraft3 which I haven't implemented and pretty sure it was hardcoded yeah.

Update, fixed the UI a bit with the help of zed` and finished every type of unit upgrade system. Now I need to start implementing all the abilities that these research/upgrades are tied for, I already made some passives and random spells I had floating around.

Here's the new progress spreadsheet, for all the non-hero units and buildings of each Race. It's gonna take some time to properly implement over 150 custom abilities and assign them to the unit upgrades for each tech buildings, but the structure is already there, and the game is almost looking playable.

I would also like to thank @SQL for his job on the hero tooltips today, now every hero ability is officially done and shows the correct info.

More zed work: :blush:

img

This Scaleform component is very customizable and is available in :github: https://github.com/zedor/AbilityValues

Upgrades are in, with a cosmetic swapping system for each units weapons/armors

I need to extend this to other units but the structure is very simple, just a big wearables table of weapon/armor for each unit name which contains the desired model and run a function to set the model on everything.

Hey, Icefrog again, just want to ask, when you finish this mod, could you make aoe2 custom gamemode?

• edited March 2015 Posts: 1,670

Something like that would need a massive amount of new models so it's very unlikely to ever happen.

10/10 XD :laugh:

noya could u plz update the github for this? i wanna c if i could make any contribution for this

It is up to date, but currently on hold while we finish RetroDota's 27 spell Invoker

I appreciate the help offer but I'm not really sure if I want to have someone else working on the abilities and mechanics, the current structure is quite messy so I'd prefer to have full control over it without having to explain what I'm doing later :laughing:

I think I'll take care of the all scripting in my ToDo list for now, but if you really want to help just take a look at the Building Helper Issues and try to resolve and enhance it, that would be very useful for this and any future RTS/TD projects

• edited March 2015 Posts: 45

ok i will continue to do some work for building helper

• edited March 2015 Posts: 96

gl u guys :)

• edited April 2015 Posts: 1,670

Back on this again, trying to finish all the Human abilities now.

• edited April 2015 Posts: 1,670

Human race abilities and most mechanics are done, so the game should be on a playable state for Human vs Human, we did a couple of runs yesterday with a couple of people, there's quite a lot of polishing left that requires extensive multiplayer testing but the problem is that there are issues beyond my control that need to be fixed before I can consider to continue working on this:

1) Multi-unit lag

Any fight with 50 units vs 50 units will make the clients lag for various seconds. :residentsleeper:

2) Client side particles/entity management

Without this, the building placement process is cumbersome and stressing, there's is an attempt to replicate BuildingHelper in Scaleform but it won't be as pretty as the particle-based version...

3) Selection control

Selecting units through buildings is a pain in the ass currently, and earlier this week I came up with a race-overview panel just because Dota needs to select a hero and I can't force selection of the main selected entity to the city center.

4) Pathfinding/group management takeover/manipulation

Another very annoying issue in which we have no possible way to fix or alleviate it, while the GetSelectedEntities function remains broken and nothing exposed in Lua to manipulate selected units, we'll have no way around the little things that are a deal breaker to the RTS genre

TL;DR: Source 2 will fix it :kappa:
    I'll continue working on this :soon:

• Just registered here, wanted to say I'm absolutely in love with this XD started cutting my teeth on the tools again the other month and started by remaking the Orc prologue mission, so naturally I'm really interested in seeing how this comes along.

Wow gj, ty a lot for this reborn, impressive work, gl for the remaining work

Hi Noya, I realy like you work and I think this website is awasome.

Thank you guys! Unfortunately this project is kinda stuck until we get a Tools update that fixes some of the points I made in the last post, there's also the lack of building model assets but one way or another I hope to make this playable around the time Source 2 hits the main client :)