Vision and Camera Control

DunDun
edited January 2015 in General

As title says, I got two questions regarding vision and camera.

1) I want to allow players to increase camera view higher than default value in Dota 2. Would it be as easy as adding one line to lua script, or do I need some special arrangement? Another thing I'd like to do is locking camera to certain location for the duration of spell. Couple months ago I saw some custom game with camera lock button so it seems doable, can't find it though.

2) I got some terrains going in my map, but terrain on flat ground doesn't seem to be obstructing vision. In this picture http://i.imgur.com/bEgK39i.jpg, you can see that the house on the left side of hero is not hindering vision at all. It is basically just a house model I imported with Skip block inside, so I guess there's more to creating terrain when it comes to sight. Do I need different kind of texture?

Comments

• edited December 2014 Posts: 1,670

1) Basic camera height can be changed with this:

GameRules:GetGameModeEntity():SetCameraDistanceOverride( number )

Default dota distance is 1134. This is shared between all players, there's no way to set different heights that I know off.

I posted the camera lock button here, it's a very simple flash actionscript and I use it for Warchasers, as trying to lock the camera to a player needs to be send to each client console and Flash is the only way to do this.

To set the camera position to an specific place, well... I tried many things, and I couldn't get a solution that worked properly, I think camera controls are unfinished or bugged at the moment.

The things I tried were:

• PlayerResource:SetCameraTarget(killerEntity:GetPlayerOwnerID(), killedUnit)

• AddNewModifier modifier_camera_follow over some entity

Can't remember now exactly but I think SetCameraTarget can only be done once per game or it bugs if you try to change it more than once in a row. The modifier_camera_follow method might unstick very quickly or not work at all, but try it!

2)

Don't know anything about textures but you could use the point_simple_obstruction entities:

img

These let you block vision and fog of war, and can be dynamically enabled/disabled

The concept of Modding Community doesn't go well together with Competitive Business
    My Project Page || My GitHub Profile ||

• DunDun
    edited December 2014 Posts: 123

Thanks. I believe obstruct entity has fixed size no matter how big what belonging block is? I applied it to skip blocks from as small as 64x64 to 1k wide ones but they all seem to have same vision obstruction.

• your models look fancy!

Hey Dun, if you still need a way to obstruct vision with your models, you can use ent_fow_blocker_node and outline the houses with it (press Ctrl+Q and place nodes around the house on the outer squares). This will provide the effect you desire :)