Project: RPG Components - Introduction

edited February 2017 in Mod Showcase

Project: RPG Components - Introduction

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails?id=862301151

http://i.imgur.com/uLqZJ93.png

Hi folks!

I've been working on this pretty solid for the last couple weeks. I've gotten it to a place where I would appreciate some feedback.

While it took me over a hundred hours hours to put together, it should only take 10-15 minutes of your time.

What is it:

• Conceptual RPG Custom Map.
  • Currently only single-player, but eventual aim is 1-3 players.
  • Five quests in a chain. Roughly two quest areas, with two slightly harder mobs. (Worg and Bear.)
  • Two character options, melee and ranged caster. Minimal non-unique ability set.
  • Levels 1 - 10, play time roughly 10-15 minutes.

What I would like to know:

• How did the gameplay feel? Did you get the right items at the right time to help complete the next quest?
  • Did you get the right amount of experience to level up as you were working through the quests.
  • Did anything get in the way of gameplay?
  • Any bugs that you noticed?
  • Did you feel like you progressed in strength throughout the campaign? Were you too weak? Too strong?

Things that I know need work:

• Content is lacking/minimal. Items are not creative. Abilities are simplistic and default.
  • Quest turn in does not display a turn in dialog. (This will be added later.)
  • Left clicking units loses focus on your hero. I'll be adding a target unit frame at some point.
  • Inventory management is lacking. I plan to make a proper character profile and equipment panel. Restricting item types. (Only one sword, one chest armor, one amulet, etc.)

Edit: Fixed the right-click bug. Thanks Dreoh!

The idea here was to get a very simple map out the door for play testing, while the core foundation of the code can be extended. A majority of the time and work went into the code base, so as it is currently could fairly easily be extended to a much larger map.

I appreciate any and all feedback, complements or criticisms.

Thanks!

-Sarynth

Comments

It's definitely the start of something great!

• edited March 2017 Posts: 272

@Sarynth

I played as a Mage.

1) Gameplay is nice. I did get a lot of items. There is a bug with items, they can be stuck in a cliff or something unpathable and you can't pick them up.

2) I got the levels 9 and 10 when I killed some of savage beasts. So its the right amount of experience.

3) I noticed that wolves, savage beasts and a bear has a lot of hp regeneration when they lose aggro. I barely killed a bear (no pun intended). For a melee character this is probably not a problem but for a ranged it is. You can't stay in the back and hit safely, you can't kite etc. Only way for a ranged character to kill the bear is to get in his face and hit him with everything until it dies. I had to grind stat items (amulets) to tank the bear.

4) So the bugs I noticed are: items getting stuck and insane hp regen of mobs when they don't attack.

5) Progress in strength is fine I think.

Other stuff that was bothering me:

• There are no numbers for HP and Mana when you hover over bubbles or over the bar in top left.

• Text size of quests is kinda small.

• (Re)spawn rate of mobs is kinda short. I suggest you increase respawn time or despawn sheep and wolves when you finish the quest.

Thanks Darkonius.

1) Got it. Will fix. (Need to figure out navgrid.)

2) Great, thanks.

3) Aye, two different design mechanics here: - Don't allow creature to be chain-kited (kite, leash return to spawn, pull, return to spawn, pull, etc.) Hence the quick regen. - Small map, small space, beasts+bear cross-aggro'd. Thus reduced leash.

I think this will be resolved with a larger map. I forced myself to use a 16x16 in order to get a polished map to release, and I have been hesitant to make the map larger. However, now that it is released, I think I can bump the size up to 16x24 or something, and add a little more room for the bear so that I can increase the leash range, and you can kite a little more.

The idea is that I don't want kiting with the leash. If I can increase the leash to 2000 units, and you kite in a circle, or within the fight area, that's fine. I think you get the point. :)

5) Numbers - Agreed, and noted. Will fix. Quest Font - You mean on the dialog, or in the quest progress window? Both probably need attention. Spawn Rate of wolves/sheep. Hm, the sheep I think is a little tricky, as I've had players that ran out of sheep and had to sit around for a few. I'll see about scaling it back. Wolves, I think this might be a space thing again, when I play through and need to kill 8 wolves, I often run out of wolves and have to wait for some to respawn. I think if I increase the map size to the 16x24 I can also bump the wolves northeast a little bit, so that you can travel from the quest npc to the beasts without aggroing wolves, then the respawn won't be as big of a deal.

Excellent feedback though, much appreciated. I'll work on it.