Ability Creation Contest

edited December 2014 in General

I propose beginning a Community Contest, with the possibility of making it a weekly or bi-weekly if the idea gathers enough interest.

This would serve multiple purposes: sharing the modding knowledge acquired so far, creating a nice ability spellbook compilation where people can check for great examples, and getting some community exposure.

I want to know what do you guys think of this idea and how should we implement it.

Some concepts taking from forums that are successful at running periodic contests.

• Contest Rules and Conditions

• Prizes

Reputation, Hall of Fame in home page, Karma, Hats?

• Judges

How should we vote?

• Contest Dates and Deadline

The concept of Modding Community doesn't go well together with Competitive Business
My Project Page || My GitHub Profile ||

Comments

• edited December 2014 Posts: 10

There needs to be a set of categories in which the abilities are ranked, to prevent some interesting and well-done abilities from being overlooked. How about the following?

• Best Presentation (appearance)
    • Best Technical Merit
    • Best Hack (dota can be pretty kludgey; there's going to be something here)
    • Most fun ability to use
    • Funniest Ability
    • Pro's Choice
    • Most likely to be added to core Dota 2
    • Community Choice

Also, for purposes of making it easy to advertise, I'd probably look into throwing together a different subdirectory on moddota, which serves as an interface to a subforum (so there'd be a board on the forum that serves as a submission board, but it's accessed through this other interface) with the intention of making it more linkable (for maximum involvement in the contest). Probably add a few things that can be voted on, so people go out and ask people to come here to vote.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 1,670

Something else that I think needs to be made clear is that we should value the ability concept/code/effect but try to leave out the balance concerns. Skills for custom modes can all have their own crazy balance and that is not for us to judge.

The ability wouldn't need to be Dota-related at all, it can be anything that can be coded mechanic wise within datadriven & lua and playable inside Source 2, with no bounds on creativity.

The concept of Modding Community doesn't go well together with Competitive Business

Sounds like it could be an interesting community project/contest, though ideally I think it would be focused more on modding than designing. There are a lot of user-created heroes and abilities at www.reddit.com/r/dotaconcepts and http://www.playdota.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31 , if anyone needs inspiration.

Another possibility is to try to start a drive to recode all the stock Dota 2 abilities in Lua, which would let modders tweak things much more easily. I've seen a couple of people request something like that, and it would take a community-wide effort to finish.

I plan to practice ability modding by recoding some League Of Legends abilities, would such entries be interesting ?

• edited January 2015 Posts: 1,670

Sure, and I think the guys over the Defense of the Legends aka LoL port in Dota would be also interested.

So when does this thing would start ? I got Annie done ! (some tweaking needed but ye..) (Also some original "turd" spells in the making..) I don't want to pressurize, just friendly message to motivate you guys, you have people awaiting you :D

• edited January 2015 Posts: 1,670

Well we haven't set the Rules/Conditions/Prizes or anything, this was a very vague idea, but if it there's more interest I can work on it!

Suggestions/Ideas for the organization of the contest are very welcome