Dota Classic - recreation of the original eul map (first dota ever) from Warcraft III ROC

edited August 2016 in Mod Showcase

I have ported the original eul WC3 ROC Dota to Dota 2.

The map is based on eul Dota 3.76d, One of the very first Dota maps ever, the original eul-versions from which everything started (before Allstars, Guinsoo, Icefrog, Dota 2)

Workshop page of the project: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725837387

Search on the in-game Dota 2 arcade for "Dota Classic" to play it.

All the orginal mechanics are there:

• All items fully shareable
  • Killing a barracks stops the respective production
  • Secret river shop
  • Morbazan (secret quest)
  • Special exclusive items tied to scourge/sentinel
  • Warcraft 3-like corpse system to make the undead-spells work (huge thanks to MNoya and his Dotacraft)
  • Hero-selection tied to factions
  • Gold-transfer between players
  • The original shop vendors ("Sena the Accessorizer"..), together with the classic shop look and feel
  • Custom spawn system to replicate the stats of the original neutral creeps

All original heroes ported, with the exception of three (they will get ported too, just a bit later)

With the exception of the infravision-dog (coming soon) all items ported, all spells and the old layout!

Huge thanks to the following projects, templates and libraries: Dotacraft by MNoya, Dota 2 Spell Library, Barebones template and library by BMD, CustomHeroSelection template by Perryvw and for everyone else involved in them! It wouldn't have been possible without you. The map uses code from these projects (I will add the map later to github as well and make the code freely available)

Very special thanks to BMD for his direct contributions regarding the shop system and great help through e-mail.

Comments

Screenshots:

Warcraft 3 eul Original/Replica:

enter image description here

Selection screens:

The classic attract spell:

• Well, new version is out: 1.4.

Stealth Assassin (hero) and infravision dog (item) added. With 1.2 and 1.3 I have also released Sidereal Engine and Mannoroth. With that, the game is now feature-complete!

Sidereal Engine is the somewhat famous tank from the eul version which never had a proper replacement. One of the more unique heroes in Dota history. Basically a siege-creep hero.

That's it, with this update all heroes and items from the original eul ROC Dota are now in! The port is done!

I will add some bugfixes in the next few days/next week and release 1.5 with that, but that's it for the most part. The main work is done. The original dota that that sparked the genre is now ported to Dota 2!

Yeeha!

• Well, the promised 1.5 bugfix version is out now. There are some bugfixes, some spells are more aligned with the original and it's possible to attack allies at any point, just like in the WC3 version.

That's it. Game is pretty much done. If people will find some bugs or there will be a game breaking change in the Dota 2 client, I will fix it, but the main work is finished now. Horraaay!

I have uploaded the source code to github for anyone interested:

https://github.com/arsjac/DotaClassic

Good work!

The concept of Modding Community doesn't go well together with Competitive Business
    My Project Page || My GitHub Profile ||

• Now that it is done, why have I done this?

The heroes in classic were a lot more specialized and had a lot in common with the medic/engineer/heavy/soldier classes found in games like Team Fortress.

For example: Each side had a hero which could heal and teleport (Celeste and Nilirai - today's Lina and Furion). These were absolutely crucial, because they served as medics on the map, couriers (it was possible to send gold to other players and share items, yet there were no animal couriers) and were able to deal area damage. This was important because of the many summons the map had and the medics were their counters.

The summoners in turn worked a lot like engineers - their primary focus was about about moving their summoned units in the best possible position - correct skeleton positioning (blocking enemy heroes etc.) was extremely important for the Wraithlord (today's lich).

There was also a dedicated tower-sieger class: Old Earthshaker, Sidereal Engine.

One of the main reasons I started with the map was because I was really fed up with modern dota clones at some point and wanted to recreate the feeling the originals gave (Dota Classic, Tides of Blood). Those were far more team based: The gold pooling, the enforced team work through the healer/summoner classes, no mega-heroes due less powerful items etc.

Some of the things about Tides of Blood here:

https://lanepushinggames.com/2014/12/18/review-tides-of-blood-part-2/

Apply to Dota Classic as well. To recreate that team-feeling was one of the main reasons I did the map.

• "Good work!"

Thanks!

I really thought there was something wrong with the Dota 2 cosmos without the original map.