Can't publish - Failed to submit new workshop item (9)

edited December 2015 in Questions

Having read similar threads on the topic, I understood that this error occurs when there is a missing file. In an attempt to solve the problem, I copied all the game / content files from barbones into my mod's respective game / content directories. I made sure not to overwrite my existing files in the copy process. This did not solve the problem and at this point I am left clueless as to what could be the cause.

My content and game directories can be browsed here. I have truncated the content of some files but will upload the original source if need be. If the files need to be viewed I can try to upload them on github (though the last time I tried to do so I got an error). Note they can be viewed in the link I provided but its more cumbersome.

Comments

If copying over the files from barebones doesn't work it's more likely that there's some syntax error somewhere. I'd suggest making a new addon in the tools startup menu and comparing it to yours (there will be a lot less to check against than barebones).

• A syntax error? It builds and runs fine - I am assuming maybe its a path in one of the files that is pointing to the wrong directory. I'll try your suggestion though.

a path in one of the files that is pointing to the wrong directory

Yea, something like that. Not a syntax error in your actual code, but maybe something is off in one of the files like addoninfo.txt that are used by the workshop importer.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 146

I tried creating an empty addon to see if I could even publish that. Didn't work. Tried building the map in the empty addon to make sure the necessary files were created - republished after that. Didn't work.

Both times I still got the Failed to submit new workshop item (9) error code. I'll try looking into your suggestion. If I don't see any anomalies, I will try to create an addon and choose the "new addon from existing addon" and base the existing addon on barebones. From there I will try to publish that addon after building it. I did try something in that vein but if failed though I don't know if I did it properly so will try again.

Sounds good. If you're having problems getting a basic addon running, it seems more likely that it would be a problem with your install. So after testing if it still doesn't work, validate your cache in steam and see if that gets anything. Worst case scenario, you can still try reinstalling game (or the worshop tools dlc portion anyway).

• I ran a cache check and it said 5 files failed the test and that they would be replaced. I then I tried the option of creating a "new addon from existing addon" and based my existing one on overthrow. I tried to publish that - it also failed.

So at this point I cannot publish any addon whatsover, be it an empty one, one that is based on barebones or one that is based on overthrow or any other addon for that matter.

If someone can send me a skeleton addon that they have successfully (privately) published, I could try to see if that can publish on my machine and see if the problem is related to my install or not.

Ok here is my update - I have tried the following on 2 machines:

1. Uninstalled workshop tools
    2. Reinstalled workshop tools through right clicking on dota 2, selecting properties->DLC and checking the Workshop tools DLC option. I did not install workshop tools through library->tools as that always gives me the "cannot find executable" error when you try to run it. Strangely enough Dota 2 workshop tools does not show up as installed in library->tools (despite it working and running fine)
    3. Creating an empty addon
    4. Publishing the empty addon
    5. Creating an addon based on overthrow.
    6. Publishing the addon based on overthrow.

I have tried all the above on 2 machines. At each and every turn I got Failed to submit new workshop item (9). Seems other people are having this issue as of late.

Again if someone can send me a skeleton addon that they have successfully published, I can try publishing that on my 2 machines and see if the problem keeps recurring. Can't think of any other solution for the moment.

The workshop tools in the library is an artifact from before the main client updated to reborn, pay it no mind. As for not being able to publish, I did push an update last night, so maybe it's a connection thing? If you want to try using my code, it's here, but I give no guarantees as to the state of it.

The workshop tools in the library is an artifact from before the main client updated to reborn, pay it no mind.

Thanks for pointing that out. Valve should have removed it long ago as I remember this was an issue when I installed tools several months back.

Thanks for the upload - tried publishing your mod as is (no building the maps). Same error -_-

EDIT: I tried it on both of my machines now. At this point I am concluding this is a bug on Valve's part as other people have having the same issue as of late.

Where is the best place to submit a bug report to valve? I posed in dev.dota2.com, though admittedly in the wrong section. Trying to repost my thread failed and I can't even remove the old one.

Not registered on dev.dota2.com, so I can't really help you there. The fact that you're not the only one to have this issue is good, maybe, since it means that it probably stems from something valve did, which should get fixed :soon:

Back to the problem at hand, the only other thing I can think of would be trying a different internet connection, since you've confirmed that the issue persists across machines; could be something with the router or other intermediary that's interfearing with valve's uploader.

hmm do u have a full account? if u havent bought osmething for at least 5 bucks u dont have a full acount.

i dont have a full account and i get that same message on steam when i upload my mod, but it does actually upload it,but it is only visible to friends.

if u go to your steam profile webpage, it might just be sitting there

• Back to the problem at hand, the only other thing I can think of would be trying a different internet connection, since you've confirmed that the issue persists across machines; could be something with the router or other intermediary that's interfearing with valve's uploader.

Thanks for the suggestion; I went ahead and tried that, unfortunately that was not the issue either - either way it was good not to rule that out so thanks :)

@fallia

Yes I have a full account; purchased about 3-4 titles (Civ5, Alien Isolation, Beyond Earth etc).

I checked my profile, for each attempt, it does actually upload the mod however it is zero in size, has no profile picture and the title is always the same - so hence unusable. At this point I think there is nothing to do but wait for this issue to be resolved.

@vyrus

Just incase I missed a step in the publish process, what I did with your trap_wars mod was simply place it in the respective game / content directories of my dota installation and publish it directly after that (no building, nothing). Are there any prerequiste steps prior to publishing that one should observe? According to what I read, not really.

Should work like that. Maybe try deleting stuff off of there, and check on your profile page if there's an option to clear it out, it could be some corruption on the cloud or something. Other than that, I'm pretty tapped on ideas, very strange.

Should work like that. Maybe try deleting stuff off of there, and check on your profile page if there's an option to clear it out, it could be some corruption on the cloud or something. Other than that, I'm pretty tapped on ideas, very strange.

I tried uninstalling dota completely, running ccleaner to clear the registry and then reinstalling it - that did not work either. I think all options are exhausted at this point and its time to declare this an official bug. Thanks for all the efforts in helping out though, really appreciate it; at least now I can rest assured that I did everything in my power to solve this :)

• MrMMrM

I have the exact same issue as you do. Spent a large number of hours trying to fix it and came to the same conclusion, valve managed to break uploading for a large number of people in a recent update. I've also posted on dev.dota2 hopefully that will get a response in an upcoming update

• I have the exact same issue as you do. Spent a large number of hours trying to fix it and came to the same conclusion, valve managed to break uploading for a large number of people in a recent update. I've also posted on dev.dota2 hopefully that will get a response in an upcoming update

Thanks for confirming this - well I hope they fix it soon. Personally posted in the wrong discussion board and there is no way for me to repost -_-

• Someone needs to post this on reddit or something. This error has been going on for a while now.

• edited January 2016 Posts: 130

This is fixed in today's patch. Probably will have lots of new custom games soon lol